Whataburger Breakfast Burger is the ultimate breakfast sandwich for hamburger lovers! The creamy pepper sauce is what makes this burger stand above the rest. It’s a hearty meal to keep you fueled up for the day. Great for brunch, lunch, and dinner too!
What’s better than a burger for lunch? How about a burger for breakfast! The Whataburger Breakfast Burger comes with enough bacon, cheese, eggs, and hash browns to help you power through even the most demanding day.
Ever since this Whataburger breakfast special first appeared on the chain’s menu back in late 2019, customers have raved about it. There is just one little problem: it’s challenging to get your hands on one. The ultimate breakfast sandwich is only available during Whataburger breakfast hours. So, those who can’t get in line before 11 am are out of luck. Bummer. But nothing is stopping you from enjoying this deliciousness whenever the craving hits when you make your own with the recipe below.
Let’s Talk Sauce
Bacon, cheese, eggs, and hash browns on a burger tastes fantastic on a burger, but it’s the intense taste of the Creamy Pepper Sauce that brings everything together. Sure, the sauce has a lot of ingredients, and it is tempting to use a store-bought alternative or skip it altogether, but do yourself a favor, and don’t. It is well worth your effort, and once you have everything you need, mixing up the sauce is easy.
After you fall in love with this sauce, and you will, save time by mixing up a big batch of dry ingredients. Store in an airtight container in the cupboards for months. To use, combine six tablespoons of the prepared dry mixture with a cup of mayonnaise, two tablespoons of minced chipotle peppers in adobo sauce, one and a third tablespoon of white vinegar, and a tablespoon of lemon juice.
Creamy Pepper Sauce is a must in this recipe, but it also tastes amazing in chicken salad, as a dip for french fries, or on salads.
Tips for Making a Whataburger Breakfast Burger
- Use a hash browns patty. The original Whataburger Breakfast Burger comes with three hash brown sticks, but they can make eating the burger messy. It is more convenient to use a single hash brown patty in this home recipe to help keep the potatoes from slipping out from between the buns.
- Cook eggs in the microwaves. Save space on your griddle by making the eggs in the microwave. Lightly grease the bottom third of a soup bowl with oil. Crack an egg into the bowl, season with salt and pepper, and scramble it with a fork. Pop the scrambled egg in the microwave for 30 seconds. Use a potholder to take the bowl out and give the eggs a good stir. Put the bowl back in the microwave and heat for 20 seconds. Check if the eggs are cooked. If not, continue heating in 10-seconds bursts.
- Don’t cook the bacon in the microwave. That’s just nasty. Instead, put a wire baking rack on top of a baking tray. Lay the bacon on the rack and put everything in a cold oven. Set the temperature to 425 degrees. When the preheat light turns off, cook for around 12 minutes more.
- Double, or even triple, the prepared Creamy Pepper Sauce recipe. Store it covered in the fridge for up to a week.
There are two components to this recipe. First is the creamy pepper sauce. It’s what really adds flavor to the sandwich. The other is the burger with the bun and toppings.
Here’s what you need to make the sauce and breakfast burger.
For the creamy pepper sauce:
- Dry mustard powder
- White vinegar
- Lemon juice
- Chipotle peppers in adobo sauce
- Freshly cracked black pepper
- Ground white pepper
- Onion powder
- Garlic powder
- Accent (MSG), optional
For the breakfast burger:
- Frozen hashbrown patties
- Small white hamburger buns
- Ground beef chuck
- American cheese slices
How to Make Whataburger Breakfast Burger
- Mix together all sauce ingredients in a bowl.
- Cook the bacon until crispy. Drain the cooked bacon on a paper towel.
- Heat oil in a skillet to 375 degrees.
- Carefully add the hash brown patties in a single layer into the skillet.
- Fry the hashbrowns for a few minutes, flip them over, and cook them for another few minutes or until the patties have a light golden color.
- Heat another large skillet over medium heat.
- Spread butter on the cut side of the hamburger buns and toast buns in the skillet until they are browned.
- Divide ground beef into round hamburger patties.
- Place the burger patties into the large skillet.
- Season the patties with salt and pepper.
- Cook the patties for about 5 minutes, flip the burgers over, and cook until the burgers are completely done.
- Remove burgers from the skillet.
- Wipe out the skillet and add a small pat of butter to the skillet.
- Cook the eggs in the skillet and use a fork to break the yolk. The eggs should be cooked until the yolks are solid.
- Build the burger, by spreading some of the sauce onto the bun, then add the burger patty, add a slice of cheese, add a hashbrown patty, add the cooked egg, add two slices of bacon, and top with the top bun.
Love burgers? Try these recipes!
Favorite Breakfast Sandwich Recipes
- Egg McMuffin
- Egg White Delight
- Moons Over My Hammy
- Sausage Egg McMuffin
- Starbucks Breakfast Sandwiches
- Wendys Breakfast Baconator
- Whataburger Breakfast on a Bun
Whataburger Breakfast Burger
Creamy Pepper Sauce
- 1 cup mayonnaise
- 1 tablespoon dry mustard powder
- 1⅓ tablespoon white vinegar
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 2 tablespoon chipotle peppers in adobo sauce
- 1½ tablespoon freshly cracked black pepper
- ½ teaspoon ground white pepper
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon paprika
- 1 tablespoon onion powder
- 1 tablespoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon parsley
- ¼ teaspoon Accent (MSG) optional
- 8 slices bacon
- 4 frozen hashbrown patties
- 4 teaspoons butter
- 4 small white hamburger buns
- 1 pound ground beef chuck
- 4 eggs
- 4 slices American cheese
Creamy Pepper Sauce
Mix together all sauce ingredients in a bowl.
Cook the bacon in a skillet or the oven until crispy. Drain the cooked bacon on a paper towel.
Heat 3 to 4 tablespoons of cooking oil in a skillet to 375 degrees.
Carefully add the frozen hash brown patties in a single layer into the skillet.
Fry the hashbrowns for 4 to 5 minutes, flip them over, and cook them for another 4 to 5 minutes or until the patties have a light golden color.
Heat another large skillet to medium heat.
Spread butter on the cut side of the hamburger buns and toast buns in the skillet until they brown. This should take 1 to 2 minutes.
Divide ground beef into 4 round patties.
Place the hamburger patties into the large skillet.
Season the patties with salt and pepper.
Cook the patties for 4 to 5 minutes, flip the burger patties over, and cook for another 4 to 5 minutes or until the burgers are completely done. This burger should not be served with any pink in the middle.
Remove burgers from the skillet.
Wipe out the skillet and add a small pat of butter to the skillet.
Cook the eggs in the skillet and use a fork to break the yolk. The eggs should be cooked until the yolks are solid.
Build the burger, by spreading some of the sauce onto the bun, then add the burger patty, add a slice of cheese, add a hashbrown patty, add the cooked egg, add two slices of bacon, and top with the top bun.