Do you love a Taco Bell Soft Taco and want to make it at home? You can with this easy copycat recipe. Enjoy tasty homemade soft tacos with ground beef, lettuce, cheese, tomatoes, and sour cream.
Homemade Taco Bell Soft Tacos
Quick and convenient, everyone loves Taco Bell’s dishes, especially their classics like soft tacos. But you don’t have to make a run for the border the next time you get a craving for Mexican food if you can cook restaurant-quality soft tacos at home.
Whether you love the original soft tacos or prefer the Taco Bell Soft Taco Supreme, this recipe will become one of your favorites!
The Taco Bell Beef Recipe
The secret to these tacos is getting the beef filling right. While the process is straightforward, the ingredient list is a bit on the long side. Don’t worry, you can easily make an extra-large batch of the seasoning mixture and keep it on hand. Then you can whip up a Taco Bell beef filling in minutes.
You shouldn’t have any difficulty finding any of the ingredients in a large supermarket. If you have never heard of masa harina before, it is made from dried corn treated with lime and then ground into flour.
Masa harina is a common ingredient in Tex-Mex dishes as both a flour for making tortillas and as a thickener. You can find blue, yellow, and white masa harina based on the color of the corn, but for this recipe, stick with the white or yellow versions.
Taco Bell Soft Taco Recipe Ingredients
Here’s a list of what you need:
- Masa harina
- Chili powder
- Onion powder
- Garlic powder
- Seasoned salt
- Ground cumin
- Garlic salt
- Dried minced onion
- Beef bouillon powder
- Ground beef chuck – recommend meat that is 70% lean
- Taco-size white tortillas
- Shredded cheddar cheese – want to be just like them? Use finely shredded cheese
- Shredded iceberg lettuce
- Roma tomatoes
- Sour cream (optional) – Taco Bell uses low fat sour cream.
How to Make Meat for Taco Bell Soft Tacos
To make the Taco Bell beef filling, start by heating a large non-stick pan over medium-high heat. You need to make sure that the pan is large enough to allow you to spread out the ground beef. Overcrowding the pan will cause the meat to steam and not brown properly.
Once the meat begins to release some liquid, stir occasionally. After browning the beef, push it towards the side of the pan with the handle. Take the pan off the heat and drain the liquid into a container in the sink. Depending on how much there is, you may find it easier just to mop it up with a paper towel.
Return the pan to medium-high heat, and stir in the seasoning mix along with 3/4 to 1 cup of water. Reduce the heat until the water is barely simmering and cook for about 20 minutes. Stir every couple of minutes, and remove from the heat when most of the liquid is gone.
Assembling the Taco Bell Soft Tacos
Heat the tortillas for about 30 seconds per side in a large, dry skillet or about 20 seconds in the microwave.
Place the tortilla on a plate and add two to three tablespoons of the beef filling. Top with shredded iceberg lettuce and cheese.
If you want to make it a Taco Bell Soft Taco Supreme, add some diced tomatoes and sour cream. Fold and serve immediately.
How to Make Taco Bell Soft Taco
Here are the step-by-step instructions for the recipe:
- Place all the spices in a small bowl.
- Stir until the spices are blended well.
- Place the ground beef into a large skillet over medium-high heat and brown the beef, stirring to crumble the beef as it is browning.
- Drain off the grease and return the beef to the skillet.
- Add the spices and water. Stir to combine.
- Simmer over on medium-low heat for 20 minutes, or until most of the moisture has cooked away.
- Heat a large skillet over medium heat.
- Place each tortilla in the skillet for 30 seconds on each side to warm them up.
- Remove the tortilla from the skillet and cover it with a towel to keep it warm. Repeat with the remaining tortillas.
- Place seasoned ground beef, lettuce, cheese, and diced tomato on the tortilla.
- Top with sour cream if desired.
- Serve with salsa or Taco Bell taco sauce.
Tips for Prepping and Using Taco Bell Beef Filling
- Store any extra seasoning mix in an airtight container. As long as it remains dry, it should stay fresh for months. Use a quarter cup of the seasoning mix per recipe if you prepare it in bulk.
- Use the Taco Bell beef recipe with other dishes. It’s perfect inside of a quesadilla or mixed with a cheese sauce over fries. Stir in some salsa for a Mexican-style sloppy joe.
Check out our Facebook page for more recipes.
What’s the difference in a regular soft taco and a taco supreme?
The difference in the supreme version is just two ingredients, if you order a Taco Supreme it comes with sour cream and tomatoes. So make yours supreme by adding the sour cream and some chopped tomatoes.
Love Taco Bell? Try these copycat recipes!
- Taco Bell Crunchwrap Recipe
- Taco Bell French Fries
- Taco Bell Fresco Style
- Taco Bell Frutista Freeze
- Taco Bell Nacho Fries
- Taco Bell Quesadilla Recipe
Favorite Mexican Recipes
- Chipotle Corn Salsa
- Creamy Mexican Green Sauce Recipe
- Huevos Rancheros
- Instant Pot Refried Beans
- Sour Cream Chicken Enchiladas
- Taco Casserole
- White Queso Dip Recipe
Taco Bell Soft Taco
Taco Seasoned Beef
- 1 1/2 tablespoon masa harina
- 4 1/2 teaspoons chili powder
- 1/2 teaspoon onion powder
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon seasoning salt
- 1/2 teaspoon paprika
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic salt
- 1/4 teaspoon sugar
- 1 teaspoon dried minced onion
- 1/2 teaspoon beef bouillon powder
- 1 1/3 pounds ground beef chuck
- 12 white tortillas six to eight inches wide
- 1 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- 1/2 head iceberg lettuce shredded (about 3 cups)
- 2 roma tomatoes diced
- ¾ cup sour cream optional
Taco Seasoned Beef
Place all the ingredients except the meat in a small bowl.
Stir the spices well to make sure the spices are blended well.
Crumble the ground beef into a large skillet (preferably nonstick) over medium-high heat and brown the beef, stirring well.
Transfer the browned beef to a colander to drain off the grease.
Return the beef to the skillet.
Add the spice mix and 3/4 to 1 cup water. Stir to combine.
Simmer the beef mixture on medium-low heat for 20 minutes, or until most of the moisture has cooked away. Remove the skillet from heat before the meat is completely dry.
Heat a skillet over medium heat.
Place each tortilla in the skillet for about 30 seconds on each side to warm them up.
Remove the tortilla from the skillet.
Cover the tortillas with a towel to keep them warm.
Spoon a couple tablespoons of beef on a tortilla.
Top with lettuce, cheese, and diced tomato.
Top with sour cream if desired.
Repeat with the remaining ingredients.
Serve immediately with your favorite taco sauce.