Taco Bell Nacho Fries are deliciously seasoned with Mexican spices and served with creamy cheese sauce. You can make them at home with this easy copycat recipe.
Were you ever forced to choose between ordering french fries or nachos? No one should have to make such a heart-wrenching decision. But don’t worry, Taco Bell has your back with their one-of-a-kind Nacho Fries. But if you can’t run to the border, you can still make this Taco Bell Nachos Fries recipe at home, so you won’t ever have to compromise again. All kidding aside, these nacho fries taste amazing and are perfect for enjoying as a snack or for “spicing” up dinner. Go ahead and give this recipe a try, but prepare to share.
Get the Right Fries and the Rest Will Follow
Sorry. This is one recipe where your gourmet, hand-cut, homemade fries just won’t work. So save them for another time and get yourself a big bag of Ore-Ida Extra Crispy FAST FOOD FRIES®. If you absolutely can’t find them in your local supermarket, look for another brand of “extra crispy” frozen fries. Whatever you do, don’t settle for regular frozen fries. They won’t have the crunchy exterior that is needed to stand up to the cheesy sauce.
Once you get the french fries home, if you are lucky enough to have a deep fryer, use it. Really. It is so worth any extra fat and calories. However, if you don’t have a deep fryer, then sure, you can use the oven, but know you’ll lose a lot of the texture that makes the recipe so unique.
As a lower-fat alternative to deep-frying, you can use an air fryer if you have one. You can even try “double frying” the french fries. First, cook the frozen french fries in a preheated air fryer for 10 minutes at 360 degrees. Let the fries cool for at least 30 minutes, and then cook them once more in a preheated air fryer at 400 degrees for 6 minutes.
The Secret Taco Bell Cheese Sauce
This spicy nacho sauce beats any cheese sauce in a can, hands down. Don’t try to save a few minutes by using ready-made nacho sauce when making it fresh is simple and so much better! While the recipe calls for using slices of American cheese, buying a block of processed mild-tasting cheese costs less and works just as well if you cut it into small pieces before melting. Whether you choose to go the authentic Taco Bell nacho cheese sauce route and use orange cheese is up to you.
Tips for Making and Serving Taco Bell Nacho Fries
- Add a few toppings. Plain nachos are good, but loaded nachos are great. Dress those fries up with sliced jalapenos, diced onions, a dollop of sour cream, and a side of guacamole.
- Toast those spices. Heat a dry skillet over medium-high heat. Pour in the spice mixture and stir slowly with a wooden spatula until you can smell them. Put the spices directly into a spice grinder and grind them into the consistency of talcum powder.
- Tossing hot fries with the fry seasoning. Toss one portion of hot fries in a large metal bowl with a tablespoon of the fry seasoning mixture. Grab the fries and give them a good shake over the bowl to remove excess seasoning before serving.
Taco Bell Nacho Fries Recipe Ingredients
Here’s a list of what you need:
- Frozen Ore-Ida Extra Crispy Fast Food Fries
- Salted butter
- Whole milk
- Deli American cheese or Kraft American Cheese Deluxe slices
- Tabasco Jalapeno Green Sauce or liquid from jarred pickled jalapeno slices
- Chili powder
- Garlic powder
- Onion powder
How to Make Taco Bell Nacho Fries
- If you have a spice grinder or a mini food processor, process salt, paprika, chili powder, garlic powder, and onion powder together to finely grind them.
- If not, simply combine the seasonings in a bowl.
- Place butter, salt, milk, American cheese, and jalapeno sauce in a saucepan.
- Heat on low, stirring occasionally, until the cheese melts.
- Deep fry the fries according to the package instructions.
- Liberally season the fries with the spice blend as soon as you remove them from the oil.
- Serve nacho fries with the cheese sauce.
Love Taco Bell? Try these copycat recipes!
Popular Mexican Recipes
- Charro Beans
- Chile Relleno Casserole
- Chili Verde
- Chipotle Barbacoa
- Taco Bowl
- Taco Ring
- Taco Seasoning Mix