McDonald’s Chips Ahoy McFlurry is a tasty ice cream treat. This simple 4 ingredient DIY recipe for a homemade McFlurry with chocolate chip cookies is sure to be a favorite!
This post contains affiliate links. As an Amazon Associates, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Summer means an endless stretch of careless days filled with nothing better to do than swimming, bike riding, chasing the ice cream man, and catching fireflies — whoops, scratch that. It isn’t the 80s, and you aren’t ten anymore. Those days may be gone for good, but you can still enjoy at least one of your childhood favorites when you whip up this Chips Ahoy McFlurry recipe from McDonald’s. This blended ice cream treat combines rich vanilla ice cream with chocolate chip cookies and a touch of caramel sauce. Bring the good old days back by blending a few up for your kids, or better yet, yourself. Go ahead. You deserve it!
Use the Proper Blender
Milkshake machines, the kind that sort of looks like a torpedo with a bullet-shaped head and a long stirring stick, are perfect for making Chips Ahoy McFlurries. But you probably don’t have one. That’s fine; a blender will work as well. However, if you are using a blender, it needs to be a pretty heavy-duty one. No, you don’t need a 500 dollar monster that can turn a brick into powder, but it shouldn’t have any problems puréeing frozen fruit.
Making the Perfect McFlurry
First off, if you have never had a McFlurry, it is very similar to other blended ice cream desserts like the Blizzard from Dairy Queen. However, it is most certainly not a milkshake. You eat a McFlurry with a spoon; you don’t sip it through a straw!
Start by scooping about two cups of vanilla ice cream per serving. Some blenders can handle making more than one serving at a time, but for the best results, make each Chips Ahoy McFlurry separately. Use a knife to ice cream into large chunks about 2 inches square. Prepping the ice cream this way will shorten the blending time and prevent excessive melting.
Pour the milk into the blender to provide a little space between the ice cream and the bottom. Then add the chopped ice cream. Cover. Use the pulse button to work the ice cream and milk into a consistent texture. Use a runner spatula to push any ice cream from the sides and give it a good stir to release any air pockets.
Break the chocolate cookies (any brand will do) into small chunks, not crumbs! Cover the blender and pulse a few times to mix in the cookies, but don’t overdo it.
Take your serving glass and drizzle the caramel sauce around the inside. Let the sauce drip down the sides before adding the blended ice cream. Use the rubber spatula to scrape down the sides.
If you want, you can add a little more caramel sauce or whipped cream and chocolate chips on top. Serve with a long spoon.
Tips for Making Other Types of McFlurries
- Cookies ‘n Cream Switch the crumbled Oreo (or other sandwich cookies) for the chocolate chip cookies. Replace the caramel sauce with fudge sauce.
- Frozen Grasshopper Mix the milk with a tablespoon of mint syrup. Use two scoops of mint chocolate chip ice cream instead of vanilla and substitute two crushed StarLite spearmint mints (the green and white ones) for the chocolate chip cookies. Skip the caramel sauce altogether.
- Salty Caramel and Chocolate Pretzels Add a tablespoon of caramel sauce to the milk. Use two scoops of vanilla ice cream, but replace the chocolate chip cookies with an equal amount of crumbled chocolate-covered pretzels.
- Freeze any soft add-ins that you use, like chocolate bars. Freezing will help the ingredients retain their shape while mixing.
McDonald’s Chips Ahoy McFlurry Ingredients
Here’s a list of what you need:
- Vanilla ice cream
- Whole milk
- Chips Ahoy chocolate chip cookies
- Caramel sauce for topping
How to Make McDonald’s Chips Ahoy McFlurry
- Place ice cream and milk in a blender.
- Blend ice cream and milk together.
- Crumble Chips Ahoy cookies into the blender.
- Pulse the blender a few times to mix in the cookies.
- Pour the mixture into a glass.
- Drizzle caramel sauce on top.
More McDonald’s Desserts and Treats Copycat Recipes
- Eggnog Shake
- Fried Apple Pie
- Frozen Strawberry Lemonade
- Oreo McFlurry
- Shamrock Shake
- Strawberry Banana Smoothie
Favorite Ice Cream Treats
- Bananas Foster
- Chocolate Ice Cream
- Homemade Vanilla Ice Cream
- Ice Cream Pie with Oreo Crust
- Peanut Butter Ice Cream
- Peanut Butter Ice Cream Pie
- Turtle Ice Cream Pie
Check out more of my easy ice cream recipes and the best McDonalds recipes here on CopyKat!
McDonald’s Chips Ahoy McFlurry
- 2 cups vanilla ice cream
- 2 tablespoons whole milk
- 4 Chips Ahoy Chocolate chip cookies
- 1 tablespoon caramel sauce for topping
Place ice cream and milk in a blender.
Blend ice cream and milk together.
Crumble Chips Ahoy cookies into the blender.
Pulse the blender a few times to mix in the cookies.
Pour the mixture into a glass.
Drizzle caramel sauce on top.