Longhorn Steakhouse Parmesan Crusted Asparagus was an appetizer that I fell in love with. I love a great asparagus recipe, here a crunchy golden brown cheesy coating wraps tender asparagus. Fresh asparagus is coated with parmesan, fried until it has a crispy crust, and served fresh.
This post contains affiliate links. As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Crispy Fried Asparagus
This asparagus is wrapped in a crispy cheesy batter, if you have folks that do not enjoy asparagus this recipe is a great way to introduce them to this vegetable. When you order this in the restaurant it is a shareable sampler, but at home, you can turn this into a side dish.
Longhorn Steakhouse Appetizer
Longhorn Steakhouse is part of the Darden chain, which is part of the company that owns Olive Garden and Red Lobster. I love their themed restaurants and their attention to detail.
They select wonderful menu items, and the Longhorn Steakhouse is just one of those. This well-priced steakhouse will soon become a favorite of yours. Here you can get fresh hand cut steaks. Their Parmesan Crusted Asparagus is one of their most popular recipes. It is likely to become your choice of side to go along with one of their tender center0cut of beef that is full of juicy marbling.
This Parmesan Crusted Asparagus appetizer was quickly a favorite menu item of mine. A few of you wrote to me asking me for this recipe. When I get several people asking I know it is a fantastic find.
Asparagus is flash-fried with a crispy crust. It makes noshing on asparagus spears a real delight. They are easy to make so you can make this recipe at home.
Ingredients Needed for Longhorn Steakhouse Parmesan Crusted Asparagus
Here’s a list of what you need:
- Fresh spears of asparagus – look for medium-sized spears, thin fresh spears won’t hold up to battering and frying.
- All-purpose flour – we are making a batter here, we aren’t using any bread crumbs
- Parmesan cheese – use a mid-priced kind that you buy in the deli
- Seasoned salt
- Oil for frying – I recommend canola or vegetable oil for frying.
You may want to check out this article for How to Pick Fresh Asparagus from the Kitchn. I like to pick medium-sized in terms of thickness for this recipe.
You will also need two types of Parmesan. Well, one is optional for the garnish.
- Grated Parmesan. I don’t often say this, but the kind that is pre-grated, and sold in cans works just fine for this recipe.
- Shaved Parmesan. This is an optional for the garnish because you can sprinkle grated parmesan on the finished dish. You can either get a block of Parmesan and shave off thin slices or get it already shaved.
How to Make Longhorn’s Parmesan Crusted Asparagus
- Wash and trim off the woody end of the asparagus.
- Place the flour, Parmesan, and seasoned salt in a shallow dish. Stir to combine. Pour the buttermilk into a separate shallow dish.
- Dredge asparagus in the flour mixture.
- Then dip them in buttermilk and dredge again in the flour.
- Place the breaded asparagus on a wire rack and allow to rest for 5 minutes before frying.
- Pour enough oil in a cooking vessel to be 2-inches deep. Heat oil to 350 degrees. Carefully drop a few asparagus in the oil at a time and fry until golden brown. Drain the fried asparagus on a wire rack that is resting on a baking sheet.
- Garnish with grated or shaved Parmesan cheese.
What to Serve with Parmesan Crusted Asparagus
Here are some great sauces to serve with fried asparagus:
- Cane’s Sauce
- Horsey Sauce
- Onion Ring Sauce
- Chicken tenders
- Pork chops
- Ranch Dipping Sauce
- Make a special sauce by combining good quality Ranch dressing mix and a little chili sauce.
How to Store Leftover Parmesan Crusted Asparagus
After this has cooled off completely store in an airtight container and place in the refrigerator, this will last in the refrigerator for between 3 to 4 days.
You can freeze this if you store this in an airtight container for a freezer bag for up to 3 months.
How to Reheat Crispy Parmesan Asparagus
I recommend placing this into a 350-degree air fryer and cooking for 6 to 8 minutes. You could reheat this in the oven at 350 degrees for about 10 to 12 minutes. I do not recommend microwaving the parmesan crusted asparagus because it will become soggy in the microwave.
I hope you give this recipe a try in one of your upcoming meal plans. No matter if you serve this with some shaved prime rib, a flavorful steak, or your own recipe for chicken, you are going to love this way to prepare asparagus.
Love Longhorn Steakhouse? Try these copycat recipes!
Favorite Fried Appetizer Recipes
- Air Fried Buffalo Cauliflower
- Blooming Onion
- Cream Cheese Wontons
- Deep Fried Mushrooms
- Fried Cheese Curds
- Fried Cheese Sticks
- Fried Jalapeno Poppers
- Fried Mozzarella
- Mini Corn Dogs
Longhorn Steakhouse Parmesan Crusted Asparagus
- 1 pound fresh asparagus
- 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 3/4 cup grated Parmesan cheese, divided
- 1 teaspoon seasoned salt
- 2 cups buttermilk
- oil for frying
Trim the asparagus by removing the bottom inch. You can save the trimmings for soup stock, if you’d like.
In a shallow bowl add the flour, 1/2 cup Parmesan, and seasoned salt. Stir to combine.
In another shallow dish, add the buttermilk.
Coat asparagus first in the flour mixture, then dip into the buttermilk, and then dredge in the flour coating again.
Place the coated asparagus on a wire rack. Repeat with all asparagus, and allow to rest for about 5 minutes before frying.
Add enough oil to your cooking vessel to cover the bottom 2 inches. I like to use vegetable oil, corn oil, or even cottonseed oil. Heat oil to 350°F. Drop a few pieces in at a time, and fry until golden brown. Remove golden asparagus and allow to drain on a wire rack.
Garnish with remaining Parmesan cheese.
You may want to serve this with some Ranch dipping sauce.