Nothing warms you up better on a cool wintery day than a piping bowl of soup! Soup is wonderful when it’s left to simmer in the seasonings for hours, but who wants to wait that long to eat?! Not me!
This Instant Pot Chicken Tortellini Soup is lip smacking good and it only takes 8 minutes plus time to come to pressure in your Instant Pot!
What is Chicken Tortellini soup?
Chicken tortellini soup is much like chicken and noodle soup except it’s a bit creamier and made with tortellini instead of noodles.
Tortellini is a stuffed pasta that can be filled with meat or cheese. I personally like the cheese filled tortellini.
This creamy chicken tortellini soup requires a few ingredients and several delicious spices. Here’s what you’ll need:
- Chicken breast. For this recipe, you will want boneless, skinless chicken breast for best results. You have to dice the chicken, so bone-in chicken is harder to use.
- Vegetables. Carrots, celery, onions, garlic, and spinach add a delicious source of vitamins and nutrients.
- Tortellini. You can’t have a tortellini soup without tortellini. This stuffed pasta takes your dish from ordinary to extraordinary.
- Spices and seasonings. Onion powder, oregano, salt, and pepper combine together making your taste buds water for more.
- Chicken broth. An Instant Pot requires water to come to pressure. Although you could use plain water, chicken broth tenderizes the chicken and adds a burst of flavor.
- Heavy cream. Thicken your soup with heavy cream and make it lusciously creamy.
- Parmesan cheese. Like most Italian dishes, parmesan cheese topping is the perfect touch to a flavorful soup.
How to Make Chicken Tortellini Soup in an Instant Pot
Everything is easier in the Instant Pot including this delicious chicken tortellini soup.
- Turn the Instant Pot to sauté and add the butter and olive oil.
- When the butter has melted, add the chicken and cook until no longer pink.
- Once the chicken is done, add the carrots, celery, and onion. Sauté for 1 to 2 minutes.
- Turn off the sauté function. Pour in some of the broth and scrape the bottom of the pot to make sure there are no bits stuck to the bottom.
- Add in the spices and the rest of the broth. Stir to combine.
- Pressure cook for 8 minutes on high.
- Perform a quick release to manually release the pressure when done cooking. Do this by turning the sealing valve to vent.
- Turn sauté mode back on and add the tortellini.
- Simmer for about 5 minutes or until tortellini is done.
- Turn off the Instant Pot and stir in the spinach.
- Pour in the heavy cream and give one final stir.
- Serve with parmesan cheese sprinkled on top.
How to Store Leftover Chicken Tortellini Soup
Tortellini soup can be stored in a bowl with a lid in your refrigerator for 3-4 days. You can reheat it in your Instant Pot, on the stovetop, or in the microwave.
Can You Freeze Chicken Tortellini Soup?
If you are planning to freeze chicken tortellini soup, you will want to freeze it without the tortellini or heavy cream. Pasta does not do well in the freezer.
When reheating, the pasta tends to turn to mush. Additionally, cream tends to separate.
If you want to freeze this soup, cook with all the ingredients and leave out the tortellini and cream.
Place the soup in a freezer container and store it in your freezer. Thaw the soup just before to reheating it.
When reheating, place it back in your Instant Pot and turn on the sauté. Then add the tortellini and cream.
More Chicken Soup Recipes
Chicken can be used to make so many warm, hearty soups. Here are some of my favorite chicken soup recipes:
- Chicken Enchilada Soup
- Chicken Gnocchi Soup
- Chicken Pot Pie Soup
- Chicken Tortilla Soup
- Chicken Toscana Soup
- Southwest Chicken Soup
Popular Instant Pot Recipes
You have to try these easy Instant Pot recipes! They are tasty main and side dishes to make any day of the week.
- Easy Instant Pot Beef Stew
- Instant Pot Beef Tips and Gravy
- Instant Pot Italian Sausage
- Instant Pot Macaroni and Cheese
- Instant Pot Parmesan Risotto
- Instant Pot Salsa Chicken
- Instant Pot Yellow Curry
If you liked this Chicken Tortellini Soup recipe, please pin it to Pinterest for others to enjoy! Remember, sharing is caring.
Instant Pot Chicken Tortellini Soup
- 1 pound chicken breast diced
- 2 carrots diced
- 2 celery stalks diced
- 1/2 cup diced onion
- 1 teaspoon olive oil
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- 1/2 teaspoon oregano
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 8 cups chicken broth
- 2 cups tortellini
- 1 cup spinach
- 2 cups heavy cream
- Parmesan cheese for topping
Turn the Instant Pot to saute and add the butter and olive oil. Add the chicken and cook until no longer pink.
Once the chicken is done, add the carrots, celery and onion. Saute for 1-2 minutes.
Turn off the saute function. Pour in some of the broth and scrape the bottom of the inner pot to make sure there are no bits stuck to the bottom.
Add in the spices and the rest of the broth. Stir to combine.
Pressure cook for 8 minutes on high.
Manually release the pressure when done cooking. Do this by turning the sealing valve to vent.
Turn saute mode back on and add the tortellini. Allow to simmer for about 5 minutes or until tortellini is done. You will know tortellini is done because it will float to the top of the pot. Turn off and stir in the spinach. Pour in the heavy cream and give one final stir.
If you desire, add parmesan cheese on top. Then, serve hot and enjoy!