Frozen hot chocolate is the perfect drink to enjoy during the hot summer months when drinking hot chocolate would be, well, insane! It also makes a great dessert for the holidays and other times of the year.
This post contains affiliate links. As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Do you have a favorite hot chocolate recipe? Do you wish you could enjoy delicious hot cocoa on a hot summer day? You can find these famous restaurants like Tim Horton’s and your local Dairy Queen. When you make these at home, you can get creative and enjoy these with different flavors of hot chocolate.
Why this recipe is one of the best ways to enjoy a frozen treat during the summer.
This recipe is super easy! It has very few ingredients. You might swear this recipe is like a coffee shop drink everyone loves, but you can make my new favorite summer drink that is packed full of chocolatey flavor in no time at all. I bet you have everything you need to make this tasty drink.
What is Frozen Hot Chocolate?
Everyone has heard of hot chocolate before, but frozen hot chocolate is just as delicious. It’s an icy, chocolatey treat that’s thicker than a milkshake and not as creamy. It is very easy to make a with Swiss Miss Hot Cocoa.
Frozen hot chocolate is just as delicious as hot cocoa. The ice-cold variety is a lot of fun to make and serve.
What does frozen hot chocolate taste like?
Frozen hot chocolate tastes like a lighter chocolate milkshake. In fact, if you have a hankering for a creamy chocolate milkshake, you could swap the whole milk for lighter milk, or even plant-based milk and enjoy this treat. Just grab your favorite hot chocolate mix and try this recipe.
Easy Frozen Hot Chocolate Recipe
This frozen hot chocolate recipe is simple to make. This is a dump-and-blend recipe which means a homemade frozen hot chocolate can be yours in less than ten minutes.
This fabulous homemade frozen hot chocolate will amaze your sweet-toothed family. What’s more, the time saved in the kitchen can be spent with them!
What’s great is you only need a few simple ingredients:
- Swiss Miss Hot Chocolate
- Whole milk – I love the creaminess of whole milk, you could swap this for 2%, skim, or fat-free milk.
- Chocolate syrup
- Whipped cream – you can use canned whipped cream, or you can whip up some homemade whipped cream
- Chocolate curls
How to Make Frozen Hot Chocolate
- Put the hot chocolate, whole milk, and ice in a blender. Blend until smooth.
- Drizzle chocolate syrup around the inside of 2 chilled glasses.
- Pour the frozen hot chocolate mix into the glasses
- Top generously with whipped cream and sprinkling of chocolate shavings.
There are so many ways you can change up a frozen hot chocolate! Here are some ideas:
- Switch things up by trying different cocoa flavors such as raspberry cocoa and mint hot chocolate (or just add some mint extract).
- Add in some strawberries or raspberries for a fruity twist.
- Replace 1 cup of the ice with a frozen banana for a banana frozen hot chocolate.
- Add one or two heaping tablespoons of peanut butter for peanut butter frozen hot chocolate.
- Instead of the ice, use coffee ice cubes for coffee frozen hot chocolate.
- Add a spoonful of espresso powder for a bit of kick!
- Make a frozen white hot chocolate by using white hot chocolate mix.
- Try different toppings such as caramel, melted Nutella, or peanut butter sauce. Line the glasses with any of those toppings too.
- You can easily make this recipe dairy-free (or lower in dairy) by using dark chocolate or dairy-free chocolate along with coconut or almond milk.
- If you like your frozen drinks really sweet, add sugar.
- During the holidays you could add some crushed candy canes on top.
Frozen Hot Chocolate with Alcohol
If you want to make this frozen hot chocolate recipe into an adult beverage, you could add:
- A shot of Amaretto or other almond-flavored liqueur
- A shot of chocolate vodka or liqueur
- A shot of Kahlua coffee liqueur
- A shot of Cointreau orange liqueur
- 1/4 to 3/4 cup of Baileys Irish Cream (you may need to add more ice)
There are more complicated yet ingenious hot chocolate variations. The hot versions can easily be adapted to frozen.
Can I make frozen hot chocolate ahead of time?
Not really. While you can store leftovers in your refrigerator, the pulverized ice will begin to melt. The frozen drink will harden and become difficult to eat with a spoon.
Can I make frozen hot chocolate without a blender?
Sorry, no. This drink has to be thoroughly blended with ice.
I hope you try this great drink! I bet you have some hot cocoa mix in your pantry right now that is crying out to be used. Next time you get a hankering for hot chocolate during the time, why not give this recipe a try for the first time? You can enjoy frozen hot chocolate past Labor day!
Favorite Frozen Drinks
- Caramel Frappuccino Starbucks
- Chick Fil A Frozen Coffee
- Coconut Milkshake
- Eggnog Milkshake
- Frosted Lemonade
- Homemade Orange Julius
- S’mores Frappuccino Starbucks
- Vanilla Bean Frappuccino
- Wendy’s Frosty
Popular Chocolate Desserts
Frozen Hot Chocolate
- 2 individual packages Swiss Miss Hot Chocolate
- 2 cups ice
- 1 1/2 cups whole milk
- 2 tablespoons chocolate sauce or syrup
- 2 tablespoons whipped cream
- 1 teaspoon chocolate curls
Put 2 glasses in the freezer for at least 10 minutes to thoroughly chill them.
Place Swiss Miss hot chocolate, ice, and whole milk in a blender.
Blend until fully mixed and smooth.
Drizzle chocolate syrup into the 2 chilled glasses.
Pour the frozen hot chocolate into the glasses.
Top generously with whipped cream and chocolate curls.