You can make a Burger King Double Cheeseburger at home with simple ingredients. No need to go to the restaurant and homemade is so much better. Enjoy a tasty grilled burger with two patties, cheese, pickles, ketchup, and mustard on a sesame seed bun.
Double cheeseburgers are right up there with rocket pops and s’mores when it comes to All-American classics. Burger King has been serving up some of the tastiest double cheeseburgers in the business for over 50 years! But don’t head to the drive-thru the next time you get the craving for one. Stay home and try making this double cheeseburger recipe instead.
There is something distinctly different about a juicy double cheeseburger from Burger King that most fast-food restaurants can’t copy — the cooking method. Believe it or not, all the commercials you see with BK flame-grilling burgers aren’t just a marketing gimmick; they really do it! Since opening in 1954, the company has flame-grilled all of their burgers over live flames for that unique flavor. So, if you want your double cheeseburger to taste like theirs, use a grill, too.
Although it is well worth breaking out the grill for this double cheeseburger recipe, it’s not absolutely necessary. You can make this recipe using a grill pan or a heavy-bottom skillet.
Making the Burgers
Burger King uses small 3 oz burger patties on their double cheeseburgers. Going with thinner patties in this recipe means it takes less time for the inside of the burger patty to reach a safe temperature without burning the outside of the patty to a crisp. Stick to thin patties when you make these cheeseburgers at home. If you want more beef in your burger, add another 3 oz instead of increasing the size.
After seasoning the ground beef (ideally 80/20) with salt and black pepper, divide the ground beef into eight equal balls. Wetting your hands or wearing food prep gloves helps stop the meat from sticking to your fingers.
The best way of turning ground beef into perfectly formed patties is with a burger press. Using a burger press not only helps keep your burgers from falling apart while cooking but from becoming tough due to overhandling the meat.
If you don’t have a burger press, try roughly shaping the patty in your hands and then using the bottom of a plastic-wrapped cutting board to flatten it evenly. Uncooked patties should be just a little bigger than the bun to allow for them to shrink while cooking.
Tips for Making and Cooking a Burger King Double Cheeseburger
- Don’t press burgers while they are cooking. It will drive out all the moisture, making your double cheeseburger dry and crumbly.
- Keep that lid open. Closing the cover of your grill works well when cooking thick steaks, but not when making thin burgers.
- Use a thermometer to check the temperature. Take the burgers off the grill when they are about 155 degrees and let them rest for a few minutes before serving.
- Make it your way. BK is known for letting you customize burgers, but even they have limits. At home, you don’t! Go wild when topping your cheeseburger. Think outside the box and try things like avocado, tapenade, and even kimchi!
Burger King Double Cheeseburger Ingredients
Here’s a list of what you need
- Ground beef chuck
- Ground black pepper
- Small sesame seed hamburger buns
- Soft salted butter
- American cheese
- Crinkle cut dill pickle slices
- Yellow mustard
How to Make Burger King Double Cheeseburger
- Season the ground beef with salt and pepper.
- Form the beef it into eight patties.
- Spread butter on the inside of the buns.
- Toast the buns in a skillet until lightly browned, and set aside.
- Heat a grill to medium-high heat.
- Grill the burger patties until done. Add a little salt to the burgers while grilling them.
- Place cheese slices on the hamburger patties just before removing them from the grill.
- Place the bottom bun on a plate.
- Place one hamburger patty with a slice of cheese on the bottom bun.
- Place a second patty with a slice of cheese on top of the first patty.
- Place 3 dill pickle slices on top of the second patty.
- Top with ketchup and yellow mustard.
- Place the top bun on the burger.
Love Burger King? Try these copycat recipes!
Favorite Burger Recipes
- Backyard Burger
- Cheese Stuffed Burgers
- Frisco Burger
- Garlic Burger
- Juicy Lucy
- McDonald’s Big Mac
- Pizza Burgers
- Vegan Burger
- White Castle Burger
Burger King Double Cheeseburger
- 1½ pounds ground beef chuck
- 1 teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon ground black pepper
- 4 small white hamburger buns with sesame seeds
- 2 teaspoons soft salted butter
- 8 slices American cheese
- 12 crinkle cut dill pickle slices
- 2 tablespoons ketchup
- 2 tablespoons yellow mustard
Season ground beef with salt and pepper and form it into eight thin patties.
Spread butter on the inside of the hamburger buns.
Toast the buttered side of the buns in a skillet until lightly browned, and set aside.
Heat a grill to medium-high heat.
Grill the burger patties for two to three minutes each side. Add a dash of salt to the burgers while grilling them.
Place slices of cheese onto the hamburger patties just before you remove them from the grill.
Build the burger by placing the bottom bun down first.
Place one hamburger patty with a slice of cheese on the bottom bun.
Place a second patty with a slice of cheese on top of the first patty.
Place 3 dill pickle slices on top of the second patty.
Top with a squirt of ketchup and yellow mustard.
Place the top bun on the burger.