Air Fryer Apple Chips are a healthy and tasty snack to enjoy any time of the day. These air fried apple chips are deliciously flavored with cinnamon sugar. Simple to make with red delicious or your favorite type of apple.
This post contains affiliate links. As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Everyone wants to eat healthier these days, and these cinnamon apple chips are a great alternative to the fat and calories of potato chips. So enjoy guilt-free snacking any time you want! Pack these apple chips in your kids’ lunch instead as a “dessert,” and they’ll love the sweet crunch so much that they won’t miss cookies. The best thing is that you don’t need to buy an expensive food dehydrator; all you need is your air fryer!
What Type of Apple Should You Use?
Some apples are sweet, others are tart, but for dehydrating apples in an air fryer, an apple’s texture is just as important as its taste.
Although you can certainly use Red Delicious apples as written in the recipe, many Red Delicious apples are a bit on the mealy side. They also have thicker skin, causing a problem if you choose to leave it on. But there is no reason you can’t substitute other varieties as well.
Here are some of the best alternatives for making apple chips air fryer style:
- Honeycrisps are crisp and firm, with an overall sweetness tempered by a bit of tartness. This variety is highly recommended for this recipe.
- Pink Lady apples are extra-firm, meaning they will hold up exceptionally well in the air fryer. They are semi-sweet with a little more tartness than Honeycrisps.
- Granny Smiths are among the best baking apples because they have no problem holding their shape. This variety can benefit from adding more sugar and can stand up to spices and flavorings.
- Zestars aren’t available in every supermarket, but pick up a few to use in this recipe if you see them. They are exceedingly firm and have a pronounced tartness with a hint of brown sugar-like flavor.
How to Cut Your Apples
The one thing to remember is the thinner you cut the apples, the crunchier they will turn out, so they should be as thin as possible. Also, while the recipe calls for a spiral cutter, there are other options if you don’t have one.
One of the best alternatives is to use a food mandolin. This kitchen gadget allows you to set the height of a fixed blade and slide the food over the blade to slice evenly and effortlessly. Just be careful and always use the food holder that comes with the mandolin to prevent a painful accident.
Another way to get paper-thin slices of apple while keeping your hands safely away from blades is using a slicer attachment on a food processor.
Tips for Making and Storing Air Fryer Apple Chips
- Spice things up. Apple pie spice is great on these chips. Try dipping them in vanilla yogurt for faux apple pie a la mode!
- Flavor your apple chips. Before cooking, sprinkle the cut apple slices with your favorite dry gelatin powder or sour candy powder like Super Sour Pucker Powder for even more flavor.
- Store air fryer apple chips in an air-tight container. They will stay crisp on the counter for up to a week.
Here’s a list of what you need:
- Cinnamon sugar
How to Make Apple Chips in an Air Fryer
- Remove the core from the apples.
- Place an apple on a spiralizer.
- Spiral cut the apple.
- Repeat with each apple.
- Toss the apple slices gently with cinnamon sugar.
- Place the cinnamon sugar seasoned apple slices in the air fryer basket.
- Set to air fry at 320 degrees for 5 minutes.
- After 5 minutes, use tongs to gently toss the apples.
- Repeat the air frying process until apple slices are starting to crisp.
- Once done, transfer the apple chips to a wire rack to cool.
- Store the apple chips in an air-tight container.
Enjoy delicious air fried apple chips for a healthy snack. Cinnamon sugar gives them just the right touch of spice and sweetness.
Looking for more air fryer recipes? Try these!
- Air Fryer Avocado Fries
- Air Fryer Baked Potatoes
- Air Fryer Broccoli
- Air Fryer Carrots
- Air Fryer Jalapeno Poppers
- Potato Wedges in the Air Fryer
Favorite Apple Recipes
- Apple Pecan Salad
- Apple Spice Bread
- Baked Apples
- Bisquick Apple Cobbler
- Fried Apple Pie
- Fried Apples
- Old Fashioned Apple Pie
Air Fryer Apple Chips
- 4 red delicious apples
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon sugar
Use an apple corer to remove the core from the apples.
Place one apple at a time on the spiked board of a spiralizer. Turn the handle while gently pushing towards the blade.
Repeat with each additional apple.
Toss the apples gently with the cinnamon sugar.
Place the apple slices in the air fryer.
Set to 320 degrees for 5 minutes.
After 5 minutes, use tongs to gently toss the apples.
Repeat the air frying process until all apples are beginning to crisp. The total time will vary based on the number of apples used and the size and model of your air fryer.
Once done, transfer the apple chips to a wire rack to cool completely.
Store the air fried apple chips in an air-tight container.